A spiritual journey is just that, a journey. While history certainly has record of those who “woke up” in a momentous instant, the truth is that in almost every case there was a very long path leading to that place. It’s a another example of the “overnight success” that really took years. As Malcolm Gladwell has pointed out, it usually takes about 10,000 hours to get really good at something. There simply are no shortcuts.
The last couple of days for me have been an effective reminder of this truth. I have allowed certain circumstances to overwhelm and obscure my walk and cloud my knowing. It took no small amount of pulling myself up by my bootstraps to regain some degree of clarity. The following things that I reminded myself of set me back on the illuminated path. I hope they will help you as well…
- Everything happens as it happens, the less we judge and the more we accept, the happier we will be.
- Most things in your life are there because you drew them to you in some way in order to learn a required lesson that will move you closer to your ideal state.
- There is no such thing as failure, as long as you learn the lesson.
- Most of what causes us to suffer is Maya or illusion.
- Gratitude for what we have and where we are right now is the basis for most happiness.
- Attachment to impermanent things causes suffering and all “things” are impermanent.
- Presence and mindfulness in the moment are the cornerstones of happiness.
- Time is a persistent illusion. There is only the infinite now.
- Preoccupation with the past or the future robs us of the precious moment we are in.
- We are all one, all connected at the most elemental level. Harm or ill will toward one is harm and ill will to all.
- True peace is only found in compassion and service to others.
- Carrying past perceived hurts or wrongs done to us only serves to further damage us.
- We create our reality with our habitual thoughts. Want to change your reality? Change your thoughts.
- Words have astonishing power. Both the words we speak to ourselves as well as others. Be gentle.
- You are never given a dream without also being given the power to make it come true. The key is consistent, inspired action.
- Everything that holds us down is some form of fear and fear simply cannot exist in the same space as love.
- Every single day is a new gift, pregnant with possibilities including the possibility to change anything you wish.
- Happiness is a choice. It is something you DO not something you find.
- Judging is a waste of time.
- Expectations destroy relationships. Accept people for who and where they are right now. They too are on their path.
This list of 20 managed to right my course. Every one of them you already know. As a matter of fact, you already know everything you need to know to be happy, helpful, truthful, kind and loving. It’s just that sometimes we all need a reminder. I know I did.
~Edward G. Dunn